What's new in the alpha/beta version?
The current alpha version is 0.25.
- COLOR. Here's how to configure it.
- The source now compiles with SDK 3.5. This caused some exciting
new bugs at first, which I think I have found and fixed all of,
but if any remain they'll be the sort that causes Fatal Error,
so, er, keep an eye out.
- Bug fixes
- Changing the font does not take time now.
- A four-button action, even cancel, takes time AFTER you answer the popup.
This fixes: you getting pushed onto a monster, when you fail to open door;
monster on the other side of door attacks you, when you fail to open door.
- The Chest actions (open, take, ignore) have been reordered.
on another reordering question.
- Structures that are destroyed by fireball don't turn into "," now.
- Stats are updated promptly when you pick up items that affect Ac or Wc.
- Demonlords are now actually invisible without Eye of Larn (like they're
really supposed to be, but haven't been since, hmmm, August).
I play-tested it. It's not so bad. Demonlords start on level 11 and
a fixed number of new ones are created each time you enter the level,
so I'd suggest that you don't backtrack until you get the Eye.
- Bugs that I don't quite remember whether they're fixed yet or not:
"monster 'letter' is left behind after Teleport Away or after stealing"
- "Known" bugs that I haven't been able to fix yet:
Rarely there's a bad volcano level, where, if you climb
up/down, it crashes! (I will fix this as soon as I can reproduce it
enough to figure out what the heck the problem is. This may take
quite a while.)
- New known bugs
The "Invert" reverse-video option has occasional white splotches at bottom.
Features and bugfixes in beta version 0.22:
- Only one score listed per clone. [I haven't tested this for
- Difficulty is displayed (read-only) in Preferences.
- Your name can be edited in Preferences (but is only displayed
- Expensive purchase (e.g. sunsword) overflow bug fixed.
- Pulverization scroll's timing bug fixed.
- One of the "exploitable features" of the game has been made only
- footnote: I examined behavior of the monster detection potion,
which had been reported as odd. Ularn behaves the same way, it
turns out, so I am demoting this from "possible bug" to "oddity of
These features were added in beta 0.21:
- "Clone Me": You can save a clone of your character (minus plot tokens).
- Fixed a tax-payment-inheritance bug.
- High score list can be viewed any time.
What's new in the stable version?
The "stable" (== found on PalmGear) version of iLarn is: 0.20.
0.20 included these bug fixes:
- Decreased frequency of bottomless trap doors, for difficulty = 0.
- Fixed a tax-payment bug (encountered after winning a game).
How does this game differ from iRogue?
If you have never played Ularn, here are some ways that it
is different from Rogue.
You never get hungry, but instead your quest has a time
limit (number of moves).
You can't throw things, but you can learn and cast spells.
In addition to "strength" you have the other familiar
"intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution, charisma"
attributes. There are several character classes to choose from,
which will determine the initial values of your attributes.
There is a town with shops and a bank and a college. The
shops have fixed prices. Your bank account is interest-bearing.
Taking a college course can raise one of your attributes.
The dungeon levels are less like a collection of rooms and
more like a maze.
Ularn/iLarn 'remembers' the dungeon levels you have been to.
If you enter the dungeon, explore some of level 1, then return
to the town, when you re-enter the dungeon you will find level 1
just as you have left it.. (except that a few more monsters
might have moved in while you were gone). This means that when
you have a game in progress, iLarn will tend to take up more space.
Please report any bugs
you find and they will be fixed as time permits.
iLarn comes with absolutely no warranty. The worst case
for a buggy application is a hard reset which means losing everything
since your last backup. Caveat emptor.